In this article, I will show you how to install reCAPTCHA in WordPress. This will help keep your website safe from Brute Force and Spam attacks.
Table of Contents
ReCAPTCHA is a tool to help increase website security trusted by millions of users worldwide for the purpose of fighting spam, commenting and auto bots.
Installing reCAPTCHA on WordPress will help prevent the website’s admin page from Brute Force attacks, thereby making the website more secure and reducing the server load by these attacks.
II. Install using reCAPTCHA on WordPress
To install using reCAPTCHA on WordPress we will go through the following 2 steps.
Step 1: Sign up for Google reCAPTCHA
Before going into the settings to use reCAPTCHA on WordPress, you will first access the following link to register for Google reCAPTCHA:
Note: You need to log in to your Gmail account first.
Here you will see an option reCAPTCHA v3 and reCAPTCHA v2but I will choose reCAPTCHA v2 instead of v3. Because reCAPTCHA v3 will rely on user behavior on the browser to determine whether this user is a bot or a real person, which affects the user’s privacy.
Here are the options you should set:
- Section 1: Label your reCAPTCHA, this helps you identify which reCAPTCHA on which website.
- Section 2: Select version of reCAPTCHA:
- “I’m not a robot” Checkbox: Ask the user to select the “I am not a Robot” button.
- Invisible reCAPTCHA badge: Does not require the user to do anything because it already authenticates itself implicitly.
- reCAPTCHA Android: Authenticate via Android device.
- Section 3: The domains that you will put this reCAPTCHA in. You can enter multiple domains, each domain is 1 line.
- Section 5: Submit registration request with “SUBMIT” button
Then you will get Site key, Secret key to proceed with the installation in the next steps.
Step 2: Install and use the plugin reCaptcha by BestWebSoft
You need to go to your WordPress website admin page and install the plugin reCaptcha by BestWebSoft.
After installing and activating this plugin. Please go to the settings section of this plugin.
At the installation interface, you continue to set up as shown below.
- Section 1: Select the reCAPTCHA version according to step 1 of the tutorial.
- Section 2: Enter the Site Key and Secret Key that we received in step 1.
- Section 3: Select the area where the reCAPTCHA appears: Login page, registration page, password recovery page, comment area. (Should select all)
Then you scroll down to the bottom and choose to save settings.
If you want to make sure your reCAPTCHA is working, you can select the button Test reCaptcha to check. If the reCAPTCHA appears normal, everything is working fine.
Now when accessing areas where you have enabled reCAPTCHA, you will be asked to complete the reCAPTCHA before continuing your activity.
So we have successfully installed reCAPTCHA on WordPress.
Installing reCAPTCHA on WordPress is extremely simple, but it helps us to better secure our website. If you haven’t done it yet, what are you waiting for?
Wishing you success.
See more useful website tutorial articles at the following link:
If you need assistance, you can contact support in the ways below: